Group Workshop on PROS & CONS
- To discuss the topic you chose with your group and suggest changes or additions to the list of pros and cons presented by your classmate.
- To suggest patterns of organization: should your peer include personal narratives? What kind of research would strengthen the information presented?
- To suggest memorable openers/closers.
QUESTIONS TO KEEP IN MIND DURING DISCUSSION:
- Is the topic appropriate for an INFORMATIVE PRO-CON speech? Is the topic controversial enough?
- Is the topic relevant, interesting? Or is it played-out? How can the played-out topic be presented in a way that it BECOMES original?
- Challenge the assumptions made by your classmates about pros and cons: play devil’s advocate. Ex: Is your friend’s example really a CON/PRO?
- How will your peer include the RULE of THREE?
- Will if be more effective to start with the pros or the cons? Why? Or would it be better to do point by point: pro and con argued in tandem?
- Is your peer being too PERSUASIVE?
- What would be a memorable way to BEGIN and CONCLUDE? (Remember to not cut your conclusion short. Ease out of it. Leave us with some food for thought).